The Batesville high school men’s and women’s swimming team participated on the 2021 EIAC Swimming and Diving Championship on Friday evening and Saturday afternoon.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 restrictions and regulations, the meet was divided into a two-day meet format. “The updated format definitely put a wrench in our training plans,” said head coach Greg McMullen. “The women went straight from a dual meet at Shelbyville on Thursday to competing again on Friday night, without the extra day of rest and race focus training in between. Not to mention our men were out of the water on Friday as we were unable to run a workout.”
But it didn’t seem to matter much. As the Bulldogs were able to come away with a number of new top-times, podium finishers and capped the meet with Benjamin Moster becoming the first male All-EIAC winner since 2014 finishing in second in both of his individual events (200 IM and 100 Breast).
“I’m happy with our placement, and really proud of our team – everyone gave 100-percent effort. Overall, just a great day,” said junior Sean Callahan.
The Lady Bulldogs finished with 10 podium finishers and eight more in scoring positions, meaning nearly 70-percent of the swims were in a scoring position. Overall, the women finished in fifth falling just behind Connersville by three points.
The men had 20 swims on the afternoon with 17 counting towards the team’s eventual 199 points and 12 of those landed a Bulldog on the podium in the top six.
Senior Adam Hollowell had this to say about this year’s meet: “What an awesome day at EIAC! We were able to show the other schools what we’ve got, even with the limited resources. I cannot wait to see where we go.”
“It seems like no matter what we throw at these kids, including tossing a new meet on 12/29 over winter break, swimming on Thursday, Friday and Saturday we continue to improve. We continue to ‘win the lane’ over and over again, meet after meet.”
- East Central, 398
- Batesville, 199
- Connersville, 191
- Greensburg, 147
- South Dearborn, 141
- Lawrenceburg, 91
- East Central, 311
- Greensburg, 286
- South Dearborn, 171
- Connersville, 160
- Batesville, 157
- Lawrenceburg, 108
BULLDOG TOP FINISHERS
(* – denotes a personal best)
- 200 Medley Relay, Second — Will Johnson, Ben Moster, Ciaran Tyrer, Sean Callahan
- 200 IM — Second, Ben Moster (2:14.90*); Third, Ciaran Tyrer (2:16.49*)
- 50 Free — Fifth, Sean Callahan (23.88*)
- 100 Fly — Sixth, Derek VanSickle (1:12.13*)
- 100 Free — Sixth, William Johnson (53.25*)
- 500 Free — Second, Callahan (5:26.20)
- 200 Freestyle Relay, Second — Callahan, Tyrer, Moster, Johnson
- 100 Back — Third, Johnson (1:02.09)
- 100 Breast — Second, Moster (1:05.50); Tyrer (1:09.62*)
- 400 Freestyle Relay, Fourth — Joseph Shroder, VanSickle, Anthony Martin, Adam Hollowell
- 200 Medley Relay, Fifth — Taylor Blanton, Paige Oldham, Maria Lopez, Sonja Gaulin
- 200 IM —Sixth, Lopez (2:42.41)
- 50 Free — Fifth, Gaulin (27.94); Sixth, Oldham (28.43*)
- 100 Fly — Fifth, Lopez (1:12.52)
- 100 Free —Fifth, Gaulin (1:02.93); Sixth, Oldham (1:02.94*)
- 200 Freestyle Relay, Fourth — Oldham, Claire Sunderman, Lopez, Gaulin
- 100 Back — Sixth, Taylor Blanton (1:20.36*)
- 400 Freestyle Relay, Fifth — Ava Obermeyer, Sunderman, Isabelle Wonnell, Lily Wonnell